Monday, September 21, 2009

Eid!

A small section of the view from our roof
Happy Eid!

I can't believe that tonight is only my third night here in the house. It's truly beginning to come together.

Yesterday, Sunday, I woke up early and went to church. The taxi driver spoke Berber, and it was a short ride from outside the Oudaya. I made it in, and though it wasn't home, I liked the diversity of the service and the people there from literally all over the world. I had lunch out with a few of them and it was a good time, meeting other ex-pats and learning about what they were doing here in Rabat, but I do not want to be too coddled: I want Moroccan friends here too.

The rest of the day I spent trying to get a wireless modem set up. It works, but with a few issues that I probably won't get resolved until the end of the week at least. But, for the time being, at least I have internet.

After church and internet-shopping, I finally found Zitouna street: the road in the medina full of fresh produce. I think, now, I could find it again. I'm constantly shocked by how many people here do speak Berber, though it's usually Tassousite/Tashelheit instead of my Tamazight. Tomatoes are expensive right now ($0.80/lb), whereas onions are always cheap ($0.20/lb), apples and pears are about $0.60-70, pomegranates range from $0.35-70, depending on the seller, and peppers and potatoes are about $0.25-30. I managed to carry a variety of vegetables and fruits home, and my other roomate who is home (two are traveling) and I made a hybrid Moroccan/American spaghetti for dinner. It was good, but I need my Italian seasoning!

I woke up later than late this...afternoon... with a headache like none other. After brunch, it subsided, and I finally managed to crank out some of my schoolwork. I thought about going out and taking pictures of the area, but by the time I made it out of the house it was already dark, so the only photographs I have are from the house.

We wandered through the winding blue and white streets to the lower gate, and walked to the small fair that is on our side of the river, just beyond the Oudaya walls. It was fun to be among all the bustle and bright lights of the fair, and we could see the outline of the mosque that is a stone's throw away from our house, high on the hill.

Tomorrow, I have to study more, and, if things are open, still find some system for storing my clothes. All in all, not a very interesting day, but a good one, nonetheless.

2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful view! And now that Ramadan is over, you'll be able to eat up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like life is wonderful! Glad you found a farmers market for fresh, organic, local produce. The headache sounded terrible...Glad you're better.

    ReplyDelete